Monday, September 6, 2010

What is it?

Sadly this summer was wasted away being a responsible adult; working and paying bills. Unfortunately this means I neglected all things art even though I felt the ceramics studio calling to me. I'd like to have the motivation to jump right back in to the semester, so I'm working on that. I've always struggled with concept, and wanted to make art just because I feel the need to. After having discarded several ideas that keep nagging me because I didn't have a conceptual reason for wanting to create them, I just decided to let go. I would like to take this semester and have the chance to experiment and not obsess so much over planning every detail. I plan to take some of those ideas that keep coming back to me and just run with them and let them develop and change without a strict plan. The first thing I'm going to attempt is to create some pieces made with porcelain slip and flammable materials like paper and dried plant/organic materials. Not really sure where it will go from there, but i'll keep you updated.

The artists i've been looking at recently work mainly with paper and ceramics in sculpture like Andreas Kocks. I'm interested in their processes and the intricate work they do, and seeing if i can bring those qualities of paper and other materials into ceramics.




I also stumbled upon Jessica Drenk who dips various household items in porcelain slip.





2 comments: